Health benefits of Pistachios:
- Pistachios are rich source of energy; 100 g of nuts contain 557 calories. Nonetheless, the nuts contain many health benefiting nutrients, minerals, antioxidants and vitamins that are essential for optimum health.
- The nuts are rich in mono-unsaturated fatty acids like oleic acid and an excellent source of antioxidants. Regular intake of pistachios in the diet help to lower total as well as bad LDL cholesterol and increase good HDL cholesterol levels in the blood. Research studies suggest that Mediterranean diet that is rich in dietary fiber, mono-unsaturated fatty acids, and antioxidants help to prevent coronary artery disease and strokes by favoring healthy blood lipid profile.
- They are rich source of many phyto-chemical substances that may contribute to their overall antioxidant activity, including carotenes, vitamin E, and polyphenolic antioxidant compounds. Research studies have been suggestive of that these compounds help body remove toxic oxygen free radicals and thus, protect body from diseases, cancers, as well as infections.
- Pistachios are an excellent source of vitamin-E, especially rich in gamma-tocopherol; contain about 23g per100 g. vitamin E is a powerful lipid soluble antioxidant, essential for maintaining the integrity of cell membrane of mucus membranes and skin; offers protection from harmful oxygen free radicals.
- The nuts are packed with many important B-complex groups of vitamins such as riboflavin, niacin, thiamin, pantothenic acid, vitamin B-6, and folates.
- These nuts are storehouse of minerals like copper, manganese, potassium, calcium, iron, magnesium, zinc, and selenium. 100 g nuts provide 144% of daily-recommended levels of copper. Copper is an essential trace mineral that is required in neuro-transmission, metabolism, as well as red blood cell (RBC) synthesis.
- Pistachio nut oil has flavorful nutty aroma and has an excellent emollient properties. It helps to keep skin well protected from dryness. It has also been used in cooking, and as “carrier or base oil” in traditional medicines in massage therapy, aromatherapy, in pharmaceutical, and cosmetic industry.
Just a hand full of pistachios a day provides enough recommended levels of phenolic anti-oxidants, minerals, vitamins, and protein.